It's a tool for unattended mass deployment of Linux. You can take one or more virgin PC's, turn on the power, and after a few minutes, the systems are installed, and completely configured to your exact needs, without any interaction necessary.
* A tool for automated unattended installation. Lazy system administrators like it.
* Easy-to-use centralized management system for your Linux deployment.
* It's fast. It only takes a few minutes for a complete installation.
* Scalable. FAI users manage their computer infrastructures starting from a few computers up to several thousands of machines.
* Different hardware and different configuration requirements are easy to establish using FAI. You do not need to repeat information that is shared among several machines.
* Using the FAI class concept, you can group a bunch of similar machines.
* Installation targets: desktops, servers, notebooks, Beowulf cluster, rendering or web server farm, Linux laboratory or classroom.
* Linux rollout, mass installation and automated server provisioning are additional topics of FAI.
* FAI is lightweight. No special daemons are running, no database setup is needed. It's architecture independent, since it consists only of shell, Perl and Cfengine scripts.
* Besides initial installations, it is used for daily maintenance, and can set up chroot environments.
* Compared to tools like kickstart or cobbler for Red Hat, autoyast for SUSE or Jumpstart for SUN Solaris, FAI is much more flexible. You can tune every small part of your configuration to your local needs using hooks.
Install FAI in ubuntu 10.10/10.04
You need to edit /etc/apt/sources.list file
sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list
Add the one of the following line
For ubuntu 10.10 Users
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu maverick universe
For ubuntu 10.04 Users
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/fai/ubuntu lucid main
Save and exit the file
Update the source list
sudo apt-get update
For quick start install quick start package
sudo apt-get install fai-quickstart
Incoming search terms:
- fai ubuntu
- ubuntu fai
- ubuntu automated install
- ubuntu automatic install
- fai ubuntu 12 04
- ubuntu fully automatic installation
- automatic ubuntu install
- fully automatic installation ubuntu
- fai howto
- ubuntu fai howto