There are several advantages by adopting a shared global menu bar in Gnome :
* It works better with narrow windows, because the width of the menus isn't limited to the width of the window. (This is a problem for Gimp and Inkscape especially.)
* It's less confusing --- when two menu bars are visible on-screen at once, sometimes people choose the wrong one.
* Global Menu is the first step to move toward a Document Centric Desktop environment which is, according to us, a long-term trend in DEs.
Install gnome2-globalmenu in ubuntu
To install packages from gnome2-globalmenu PPA, you need to tell Ubuntu where to find it. You do this by giving Ubuntu the PPA's URL, which you can find on the PPA's overview page.
Open System ? Administration ? Software Sources and press Third Party Software.
Press Add to add a new repository.
Enter the APT line for the extra repository. add one of the following lines
For Ubuntu 9.04(Jaunty) Users
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/globalmenu-team/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/globalmenu-team/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
For Ubuntu 8.10(Intrepid) Users
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/globalmenu-team/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/globalmenu-team/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
For Ubuntu 8.04(Hardy) Users
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/globalmenu-team/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/globalmenu-team/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
Press Add Source and then click Close to save your changes.
You will be notified that the information about available software is out-of-date. Press Reload.
Now download the GPG key from here
Once you have downloaded the GPG key, import the key by selecting the Authentication tab, clicking on Import Key File, and then selecting the GPG key to be imported.
Now search for gnome-globalmenu package and install
You can also install from command line using the following command
sudo apt-get install gnome-globalmenu
NOTE: On Hardy, after clicking "Enable Global Menu" in the applet's preference window, nothing happens. It's because gnome-settings-daemon in hardy is old and doesn't support loading external Gtk plugin modules. You can either upgrade to Intrepid or you have to export GTK_MODULES=globalmenu-gnome manually in either .gnomerc or .bash_profile.
Global Menu is the globally-shared menu bar of all applications launched in your desktop session.
Incoming search terms:
- gnome2 globalmenu
- gnome 2 global menu
- how to install gnome2 globalmenu ubuntu 9 04
- how to install gnome2 globalmenu ubuntu 9
- how to install global menu ubuntu 9
- ubuntu 13 gnome-globalmenu
- how to install gnome global menu
- ubuntu 9 04 global menu