87 Comments to “Share your Ubuntu Desktop Using Remote Desktop”

1. Duane says:

Can I setup VNC to run as a deamon so that I could simply get the login windows with a vnc viewer?

2. Brett says:

well, I couldn’t find an answer to getting remote access into the system without having a logged in user with VNC.

Instead, I use Free NX Server. Easy to set up, free version… works great.

3. Venkitesh says:

I have a doubt regarding this..When i try to connect it shows unable to connect host.no route to host(113)

Why does this happen?? Can you suggest me a solution?

4. Steve says:

Weird. I set everything up exactly like the way this guide says and I still can’t get connected.

Failed to connect to server “Ip Address”

5. Chris says:

@Brett
    What settings do you use in NX client to make it work?

6. Brett says:

I just installed using the instructions on the website. Since we’re talking about Ubuntu,I grabbed the DEB installers for Client and Server.

I already had SSHD installed and running, and port 22 forwarded through my firewall.

Its a little wierd that you need the ‘client’ installed to run a ‘server’… but whatever, it works nicely. I installed the client first, then the server. I dont remember any special settings.

Consult documentation at http://www.nomachine.com

7. Bobby says:

Hi There,
    I have set up the remote desktop option and I can remotely connect. But after the connection, I only get the initial reflection to display :0
    All reflection due to the remote user interaction does not come accross to the remote viewer VNC screen, unless its being controlled locally.
    The remote user is able to input via mouse and keyboard, but unable to see this input.
    I have tried various viewers (All running on XP)
    Could it be due to graphic card issue ( I have NVIDIA EN9400) ALl comments and responses are welcome.

8. bjorn says:

Hi. I have the same problem as Bobby. One should think that to press F8 and click update screen would fix the problem, but it doesn’t.

9. Lindsay says:

I’m experiencing the same problem as Bobby. I’d love to know what the problem is…

10. Lindsay says:

It turns out disabling visual effects allows it to work properly.

11. didit says:

nice info, nice to try
    :>

12. Rick says:

My remote computer is running jaunty as well as the local machine. I am having the same issue that Bobby describes.

13. Rick says:

Lindsay’s solution works!

On the remote machine (the one you are remoting to);
    System->Preferences->Appearance
    “Visual effects” tab, select None.

after a short pause (probably because i’m wireless) the local screen begins to update.

14. zed229 says:

thanks for help Lindsay !

15. David says:

doesn’t work

i am running ubuntu and on windows I cannot connect to my ubuntu box using remote desktop.. guess no one knows how to do this

16. Edwin Fine says:

There is a known bug where Remote Desktop will not work if Visual Effects are turned on and you are using Compiz (System/Preferences/Appearance/Visual Effects). You can connect but get a frozen image or nothing at all. If you switch off all visual effects it should fix it. It has to do with an xorg feature called XDamage not working with cards in 3D mode.

17. J says:

I had the same problem with remote desktop. I solved the problem with the freezing desktop by writing this commandline i the terminal:
    “metacity --replace” (without quotes).

You have to write this command in the terminal everytime you restart the computer.

(I hope you understand what i mean :-P )

18. J says:

Edit:

metacity - -replace (without space between the two - -)

19. faster says:

how can i change the port?

20. Joseph says:

I’m connected now to my ubuntu machine from work with is using Windows XP. I still can’t control my desktop enough to disable to visual effects. Any ideals?

21. stefan says:

Thanks !

Took me two days (and some grey hairs) till i found your solution.
    Had exact the same problem: after connect a frozen screen. (and besides a heavy load due to vino-server. A killall vino-server decreased the load from 7 to 2)
    A switch off the visual effects let me control now the RDP (out from Mac OS X).
    What makes me wonder: the vino-server is obviously not necessary for RDP ?

Thanks for the contribution !

Stefan

22. Suraj Swami says:

I guess this work if the other computer is only in the same network.

How about if the other computer is at some different location. And want to remotely connect to my computer using the internet.

How can I do that .

-Suraj

23. husskii says:

Thanks for the tut, work great and is easy to fiollow.
    Just 1 problem Im having with getting multi[ple users to connect. I have a few users on my server and I setup remote desktop as mentioned iin the tut, but wen 1user is logged into his acount via vnc, the next user cant connect, for some reason it wont authenticate. do u know wat im doing wrong.
    thanks

24. MirandaM says:

This remote desktop works for me but only in my local network. If I want to connect from internet it doesnt connect. I have enabled the port 5900 and forwared it to my Ubuntu machine but still doesnt work.
    Is there something else that I needs to enable in order to get Internet access to my ubuntu machine?
    regards,
    Alonso R.

25. husskii says:

hi MirandaM I had the same problem, but Im not sure which IP u were using, but u cant use the local ip which is on your pc. You need to use the router IP which u can get from visiting http://www.seemyip.com that will show u the ip u need to use.
    I cant remember If I just connected using the IP on its own ((eg)xx.xx.xx.xx) or if I used a port which was either (xx.xx.xx.xx:0 or xx.xx.xx.xx:1)

26. MirandaM says:

Hi, It is working now. I think the problem was in my router. The redirected port was using for protocol “both” (TCP and UDP), I changed it for TCP only and then it started to work. I am using dyndns in my router so I use a free domain from that page. It works now.
    Thanks

27. tebucky says:

Hello,
    I can successfully connect to my ubuntu host via rdp but I can’t type anything when connect. Meaning, I launch firefox but I’m not able type in a destination (www.google.com for example).

I can type when I open up a terminal and navigate but nothing else. Any insight?

28. Dany says:

vino works with visual effects on… all you have to do is downgrade to version 2.24.1 (and you get the option to disable the wallpaper to :P )
    It turns out that is a better one then the new version :))

now my question is:
    Is there a way to turn visual effects off automatically when I connect?

29. bob says:

This technique does not work if you have different usernames on different computers.

30. Daniel says:

Works for me

Ubuntu 9.10 host
    vista remote on same internal network.

I have to use J,s suggestion:
    metacity –replace. Kind of slow but ok for temporary solution (my host monitor is broken.

Thanks for guide and comments
    Daniel