By default Ubuntu 8.04 LTS will not offer a upgrade to 8.10. This is because the 8.04 LTS version is a long term support release and 8.10 is a regular release. Upgrades from 8.04 LTS to 8.10 are fully supported, of course, and easy to enable.If you want to know what is new in Ubuntu 8.10 check here
- You can directly upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10 from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.
- The upgrade will not be presented by default because 8.10 is not a Long Term Support (LTS) release.
- Be sure that you have all updates applied to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS before you upgrade.
- Take a complete backup of your ubuntu system
Start Your Upgrade
Start software sources from System--->Administration--->Software Sources
Once it opens click on the "Updates" tab and change "Show new distribution release" to "Normal releases"
After changing you should see similar to the following screen click on close
Start Update manager from System--->Administration--->Update Manager
Click the Check button to check for new updates.If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.
A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release.Click Upgrade
You can see similar to the following release notes click upgrade
Downloading Update tool is in progress
Preparing for upgrade is in progress
If you have any third party sources list you should see similar to the following message click close
Setting up new software channels is in progress
Do you want to start upgrade message click on Start upgrade
Downloading new packages is in progress
Installing upgrades is in progress
Installing upgrades progress screen in terminal
Replace the customised configuration file here i chose replace
Cleanup is in progress
Remove obsolete packages option click Remove
Restart your computer by clicking on Restart Now
Testing Your Upgrade
You can check the ubuntu version installed using the following command
sudo lsb_release -a
Output Looks like below
Incoming search terms:
- ubuntu 8 04 upgrade
- upgrade ubuntu 8 04
- ubuntu 8 10 hardy heron
- ubuntu hardy upgrade
- how to upgrade ubuntu 8 04
- actualizar ubuntu 8 04 1 pelo terminal
- upgrade ubuntu 8 04 lts to 8 10 lts
- UPGRADE UBUNTU 8
- ubuntu 8 04 update-manager error
- how to upgrade ubuntu 8 04 1