Convert .flv (Google Videos) to .mpg using ffmpeg
- ffmpeg is a command line tool to convert one video file format to another. It also supports grabbing and encoding in real time from a TV card.
- ffserver is an HTTP (RTSP is being developped) multimedia streaming server for live broadcasts. Time shifting of live broadcast is also supported.
- ffplay is a simple media player based on SDL and on the FFmpeg libraries.
- libavcodec is a library containing all the FFmpeg audio/video encoders and decoders. Most codecs were developped from scratch to ensure best performances and high code reusability.
- libavformat is a library containing parsers and generators for all common audio/video formats.
Install ffmpeg Ubuntu
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
convert .flv to .mpg using ffmpeg
First you need to download your .flv file to a folder and you need to Open a terminal window and go in to the .flv file folder and type the following command
ffmpeg -i jokes.flv -ab 56 -ar 22050 -b 500 -s 320×240 jokes.mpg
jokes.flv is the file you want to convert, so the name must be the same as the source file.You can name jokes.mpg whatever you want as long as it has the .mpg extension.
-b bitrate: set the video bitrate in kbit/s (default = 200 kb/s)
-ab bitrate: set the audio bitrate in kbit/s (default = 64)
-ar sample rate: set the audio samplerate in Hz (default = 44100 Hz)
-s size: set frame size. The format is WxH (default 160×128 )
i was amazed , i have used most simple command but didn’t worked properly
/usr/bin/ffmpeg -i sorce.avi -f flv target.flv
hi – i use ffmpeg on my site for converting users cv videos into .flv files. Its hostsed on rackspace and they did a lot of the setting up for me but…. if you would like any help just email me and i’d be glad to help if i can?
for new versions of ffmpeg dont forget `k` in values 🙂
ffmpeg -i jokes.flv -ab 56k -ar 22050 -b 500k -s 320×240 jokes.mpg
when i run the command, it converts it, but it removes colors from the video, for example everything has a blue hue to it. plus the audio gets out of sync, and skips at times. the flv itself runs perfectly fine.
(yes while i have the name booble in the filename, there is no adult in the video, it’s an SNL skit)
ffmpeg -i SNL_boobleit_full.flv -ab 48k -ar 22050 -b 500k -s 512×288 boobleit.mpg
hmm something seems to have broken in my system after i upgraded to ubuntu 9.10 from 9.04. all my videos are now playing bluish when played from the harddrive.
ffmpeg -i video.flv -ab 56 -ar 22050 -b 500 -s 320×240 video.mpg
is this the correct code for running video using pendrive?
If the bitrate on my file for audio and video is N/A then can I assume that its the default as stated on this page?
This is good. I was able to convert .flv files to .avi can it convert mkv files to avi as well?
FFMPEG is the right tool for multimedia junkies who like converting videos into popular cideo formats. It is a free video converter found in the default Ubuntu and other distro’s. It’s an open source project that contains an infinite number of libraries, mostly libavcodec and libavformat. which are well-known. Convert videos Ubuntu :
How to get error number if ffmpeg return when it runs?