Howto setup Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu 9.10
You may not connect to your company private VPN via Juniper Network Connect. After You click on the [start] button of the Network Connect prompt on the Juniper Network VPN screen, You got the error message saying "JRE is disabled or not installed".
1. Install Sun Java runtime
2. Create a root password and give it to the Juniper setup program when it asks for it. You only need to do this on the first connect. Then ignore such request thereafter.
3. Restart the browser and start the Network Connect again. It should work.
1.Install Sun Java runtime
We have already discussed howto install JRE in ubuntu 9.10
2. Create a root password, by issuing the following command. You will be asked for your sudo password and then the new root password, as follows:
sudo passwd root
[sudo] password for <your-user-name-here>:
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
3. Now run Firefox and open your Juniper Private Network page, locate the Network Connect section and click the [start] button. Then the followings happen:
-- The Java console opens.
-- The installINC.sh window opens. When this window then asks for the root/su password, give it the root password that you created earlier. It asks something like this:
Please enter root/su password:
-- Now, close the Java console. You do not need it anymore.
-- Also, close the installINC.sh window, if it does not close by itself.
Now, the Network Connect windows opens. You can minimize it. But do not close it. You need to keep it open so that you can access your private network.
4. Now you can ssh to your private network and starting working.
5. After you are tired of working, log out of your private network and click on the [SignOut] button on the Network Connect window to close it.
Credit goes here
See also http://mad-scientist.us/juniper.html for some excellent notes on this topic, and http://holyarmy.org/benjamin/2009/06/vpn-on-ubuntu-linux-with-juniper-network-connect/ for tips on getting Juniper working on 64-bit Ubuntu.
Why Sun? Openjdk is free (under gnu gpl).
You can also run Google Chrome (I used 126.96.36.199) as root, instead of creating a root user:
Did not work when I tried it with Firefox 3.5.7
Hi , whether i use chrome o firefox the terminal for the su password flashes to quickly for me to react and so i’m not able to finish the install … ( the installINC.sh window). Any idea on how to solve this ?
I can type in my root password but after that it connects and within a couple of seconds I get “session time out” window and my VPN becomes unusable 🙁
Any solution for this?
@Vik: It is an OpenJDK issue. Uninstall it and install sun-java6. http://bit.ly/boGLcx
I have the exact same issue. After I login, within a few seconds it states that my session has timed out. Dod you manage to find a solution for this.
Most of the posts on google say how to access VPN using juniper network connect. They assume every company would provide jar files required to setup juniper network connect.
They say you go to your VPN site, it would by default install in your home directory you should now have “.juniper_networks”.
At least not in my case, basically i am looking how to install juniper network connect on my ubuntu 11.10 machine. Rest things later how to connect. First i want to know how to get all necessary stuff to install “.juniper_networks” on my machine and from which site should i download?