Install SugarCRM community edition in Ubuntu 8.10 Server
Sugar consists of modules, each of which represents a specific functional aspect of CRM such as Accounts,Activities, Leads, and Opportunities. For example, the Accounts module enables you to create and manage customer accounts, and the Activities module enables you to create and manage activities related to accounts, opportunities, etc. These modules are designed to help you manage customer accounts through each step of their lifecycle, starting with generating and qualifying leads to customer support and resolving reported bugs.
Because many of these steps are interrelated, each module displays related information. For example, when you view the details of a particular account, the system also displays the related contacts, activities,opportunities, and bugs. You can not only view and edit this information but also create new information.
As an administrator, you have the power to implement access control for these modules. You can customize the look and feel of Sugar across your organization. You can even create new modules if needed. You can also create multiple forums as platforms of discussion on various topics amongst your users and customers.
SugarCRM Core Features
• Lead, Contact, and Opportunity Management to share information and pursue new business.
• Account management to manage all customer interactions in a single location.
• Lead management for tracking and cultivating new leads.
• Email marketing for touching prospects and customers with relevant offers.
• Campaign management for tracking campaigns across multiple channels.
• Campaign reporting to analyze the effectiveness of marketing activities
• Activity management for emails, tasks, calls, and meetings
• Content syndication to consolidate third-party information sources.
• The RSS news feeds module lets you select and manage your favorite news feeds, and display them on your My RSS News Feeds screen.
• Quickly edit user settings, views and layouts in a single location.
• Customize the application with Sugar Studio so that Sugar meets the exact needs of your company.
First you need to make sure you have install Ubuntu 8.10 LAMP server using this guide .
Preparing your system
Install all the required packages using the following commands
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5 libapache2-mod-perl2
sudo apt-get install php5 php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-dev php5-gd php5-imap php5-ldap unzip
sudo apt-get install php5-mhash php5-mysql php5-odbc curl libwww-perl imagemagick
Creating SugarCRM Database
$ mysql -u root -p
mysql> create database sugarcrm;
Now you need to go to your webserver document root directory (default location is /var/www)
Download SugarCRM community edition from here or using the following command (at the time of writing this article sugarCRM Community edition 5.1.0b
Now you should be having SugarCE-5.1.0b.zip file and unzip using the following command
Move all the contents from SugarCE-5.1.0b directory to sugarcrm
sudo mv SugarCE-5.1.0b sugarcrm
Give Apache Ownership Over SugarCRM Files (apache-user: www-data)
sudo chown www-data -vR /var/www/sugarcrm
Give Write Permitions for Apache on Some of SugarCRM Files
sudo chmod 766 config.php
sudo chmod 766 custom
sudo chmod -R 766 data
sudo chmod -R 766 cache
sudo chmod -R 766 modules
Configuring php.ini file
You need to edit the php.ini file using the following command
sudo gedit /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
;memory_limit = 16M
memory_limit = 50M
;upload_max_filesize = 2M
upload_max_filesize = 10M
Restart apache server using the following command
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
Now open your webbrowser and enter the following address
Follow the on-screen instructions and Enjoy your sugarcrm.