Fix for video problem on the Dell Latitude C600/C500
1) Start with the clean install of ubuntu. This will give you 800×600 screen resolution.
2) Download the xorgconf.txt to you desktop. This is at the bottom of the message under Attached Files
3) Start Terminal (Applications/Accessories/Terminal)
4) Enter the command cd /etc/X11/ (This is case sensitive as in capital X and has a space between the cd and /etc/X11 To paste in the Terminal use Shift+Ctrl+V)
5) Enter command sudo gedit xorg.conf
sudo gedit xorg.conf
6) Enter your root/Admin password. (The text editor will open the problem file.)
7) Click the Open button.
8) Open the xorgconf.txt file that was saved to the desktop.
9) Delete all the contents of xorg.conf (Problem file)
10) Copy all contents from xorgconf.txt (Working file)
11) Paste all contents to xorg.conf (New Working file)
12) Save xorg.conf
14) Reboot the laptop.
When the laptop restarts, it will be in the 1024×768 screen resolution.
Credit goes here