October 27, 2009 · General · Email This Post

Foxit Reader is a free PDF document viewer for the Linux platform, with a new streamlined interface, user-customized toolbar, incredibly small size, breezing-fast launch speed and rich features. This empowers PDF document users with Zoom function, Navigation function, Bookmarks, Thumbnails, Text Selection Tool, Snapshot, and Full Screen capabilities. Foxit Reader for Desktop Linux is provided by Foxit Corporation free for non-commercial use.
Advantages

Before Foxit's Reader for Desktop Linux was available, users would have to download PDF Reader software that is much bigger in size and much slower and then wait for its lengthy installation process to be completed.

Now with Foxit Reader for Desktop Linux, you will not experience these previous troubles any more. Foxit reader for Desktop Linux is completely free. And the following is a list of compelling advantages of Foxit Reader for Desktop Linux:

* Incredibly small: The download size of Foxit Reader for Linux is extremely small.

* Minimal memory consumption: The memory consumption is less than 15MB.

* Amazing fast: When you run Foxit Reader, it launches instantly without any delay and loads a PDF file less than 3 seconds .

* High security and privacy: Foxit Reader highly respects the security and privacy of users and will never connect to the Internet without the user's permission.

Known Issues

Foxit Reader 1.1 for Desktop Linux

1. Can't record the Navigation Panel status when a user exits.

2. Can't keep refreshing the list of recent files in real time.

3. The page scrolling feature is invalid if finding text is not finished.

Install Foxit Reader in Ubuntu

First you need to download .deb package from here

or using the following command

wget http://mirrors.foxitsoftware.com/pub/foxit/reader/desktop/linux/1.x/1.1/enu/FoxitReader_1.1.0_i386.deb

Now you have .deb package install this package using the following command

sudo dpkg -i FoxitReader_1.1.0_i386.deb

Now you can open Foxit Reader via Applications > Office > FoxitReader

Screenshot

scr1.0417s.jpg

34 Comments to “Foxit Reader – A free PDF document viewer”

1. At last, Foxit Reader as I had it when I was still running on Windows. Don’t get me wrong, I like Evince, it does the job, but Foxit is way lighter and faster and I’m happy to have it now in my Office tools.

2. cspusa says:

This is easier. If you use firefox click on the link to download but instead of downloading the .deb, click “install using gdeb package manager,” in the popup firefox download window.” The file will automatically download to the temp directory and the gdeb package manager will open a window asking you to install. Follow the instructions and it will install just as if you went through all the steps outlined above. Been doing this for years now. So much easier.

3. dfb says:

Agreed, Foxit is much lighter than evince and is much easier to use. There are a few bugs and missing features such as anchor links not working but Foxit otherwise beats evince hands down.

4. x33a says:

guys, try evince-gtk, it is much faster than the one that ships with gnome.

5. Thanks for the tip, x33a, but I’ll stick with Evince as is and mostly use Foxit from now on.

6. Hund says:

7. Hund says:
    “Foxit Reader isnt open source right? Would never use something that closed source.”

I say:
    Who cares? I mean, I’m as much for open source as the other guy, that’s why I switched from Windows to Linux, but I try not to go overboard with all that stuff. I use Opera, which is closed source, because I think it is the best browser out there. And now that I have it, I’ll use Foxit, open source or not.

8. murlidhar says:

Err does anyone know how to launch foxit reader from the terminal ….?
    I don’t see any entry in the menu list even though it is installed

9. murlidhar says:

Nevermind I got it working
    It’s FoxitReader :)

10. free says:

What is the source code of foxit reader?

11. Michael says:

Happy to learn that we now have a foxit port. Too bad they didn’t include text-highlighting. Still need Adobe Professional for that.

12. Umair says:

When I try to run it, it says ”

Failed to execute child process “FoxitReader” (No such file or directory)”

13. I remember using this program during my Windows days! But since it is closed source, I will not be using it.

14. 35434535 says:

@Jean Chicoine:

I do care. If you wish to use closed source apps with all that it _may_ brings (backdoors, security through obscurity etc.) then go ahead. Just stop wondering that there are people who _care_ for free (libre) software.

15. dfb says:

I care; however, the point to take away from this comment thread is that there is no good all-in-one PDF tool that is open source. In which case, most people will use whatever tool works best, even if it is closed source and proprietary; in this case Foxit.

Evince is a slow, fat, bloated memory hog (relative to Foxit) and lacks the basic feature set most users need — highlighting, copy from 2 column pages, edit,etc. On the other hand, Foxit is much lighter, faster, and more reliable. It also lacks some basic features but seems to operate better than evince. And so I too use Foxit despite the chance that it might have security holes and goes against the open source spirit. A good PDF tool is almost as essential as a word processor these days (evince fails the grade).

The Open Office Sun PDF Import Extension (http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/pdfimport) is a good first start at an all-in-one tool but it is definitely a work in progress. If you need to highlight or make notes, but do not need to print your changes then I recommend it in place of Foxit or evince. That said, I would not recommend to my mother, yet.

16. karlzt says:

does foxit has the option of black background?

17. karlzt says:
    does foxit has the option of black background?

Only on full screen, it seems: Edit – Preferences (or Options, I’m not sure which one is used in English, my Foxit is in French), where you can change the background color on full screen.

18. karlzt says:

is black background by default, but when i put it on full-screen is still white.

19. Well, I don’t know, it works for me, I can change the background in full screen from black to white and every colors in between no problem.

20. karlzt says:

OK, now i get it that only changes the background of Foxit but no the background of the document

i want to change the background color of the document like Okular does.

21. Now you get me. I don’t know if that can be done on the free version, Maybe you’ll have to upgrade to the Pro version to be able to do so.

22. banosd says:

This will not install on 64-bit version

23. Mark says:

Thank You! Could not for the life of me, find the link to the .deb package. :)

24. Kevin B says:

I am using PDF Studio which is java based and can work on any unix flavor inclusing 64 bits. Unfortunately, they don’t offer a free viewer so far. They’re only selling the software as a full PDF editor.

25. Dane says:

Is there a possibility for pdfs to be opened whitin firefox? as new tab?

26. Alan Teng says:

banosd says:
    October 28, 2009 at 5:35 am

This will not install on 64-bit version

It does
    Use:
    sudo dpkg -i –force architecture FoxitReader…

27. Bead Rifle says:

Yes, sudo dpkg -i –force architecture Foxitreader~ works.

28. Vishnu says:

Yes PDF can be viewed in firefox. Just right click on any PDF file and go to “open with” in “properties” and set firefox as the default program. If it is not on the list just cleck on the “add” button below the list and select firefox from the new pop up list.

29. Vishnu says:

@ Mark
    If you have any of the newer Ubuntu versions installed on your system, you can find Okular in ubuntu software center.

30. hamid says:

I received this error while doing dpkg :
    —————————————-
    error processing FoxitReader_1.1.0_i386.deb (–install):
    package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
    —————————————-
    Do foxit only work on 32bit processors?