September 28, 2009 · General · Email This Post

If you want iphone/ipod touch in ubuntu easy way is using iFuse program.

iFuse allows you to mount an iPhone or iPod Touch under Linux using the USB cable. You can view and edit the files similar to a normal USB disk drive. iFuse does not require "jailbreaking" or voiding your warranty and works without needing extra software installed on the phone (such as `ssh`).

libiphone is a software library that talks the native Apple USB protocols that the iPhone uses. Unlike other projects, `libiphone` does not depends on using any existing `.dll` or `.so` libraries from Apple.

iFuse is a FUSE filesystem driver which uses `libiphone` to connect to devices without jailbreak. iFuse is using the native Apple "AFC" protocol, over the normal USB cable in order to access the iPhone's (or iPod Touch's) media files under Linux.

Once the iPhone is mounted, you can copy on, or copy off any media files that live inside the `/var/root/Media` chroot directory. This includes photographs and music files.
Install iFuse in Ubuntu

First you need to edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonabeck/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonabeck/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

For Hardy Users

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonabeck/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonabeck/ppa/ubuntu hardy main

Save and exit the file.

Now install gpg key using the following key

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com F0876AC9

Update source list using the following command

sudo apt-get update

Install ifuse using the following command

sudo apt-get install ifuse

Now you can plug in your ipod Touch or Iphone and it will appear in your desktop.

ipodifuse

Article source from here

117 Comments to “How to connect iPhone/iPod Touch (Using USB) in Karmic/Jaunty/Intrepid/Hardy”

1. Alex says:

The can we use gtkpod?? Or something similar to sync (banshee?!?!)

2. Bird says:

Brilliant, Thanks.

3. WindPower says:

Does this work for version 3 of the iPod Touch/iPhone OS?

4. Dario says:

Great!!!

@WindPower
    Yes, I tested it with mi iPod touch 2g firmware 3.1.1 (without jailbreak) and it worked perfectly!

But not gtkpod support because the music db is encrypted.

5. Trufflepig says:

Not working in AMD64 Jaunty 2.6.28-15. I’m using iPhone 3G firmware 3.0 jailbroken – and iPhone comes up and mounts but only the DCIM folder shows. Which is basically the same as I had before, so out it goes.

6. Martin Owens says:

It’s better to use a command line for adding the repository to source.list.d than asking people to sources.list

This one line will add the correct repository, regardless of the version, because it uses lsb_release -cs

echo “deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonabeck/ppa/ubuntu `lsb_release -cs` main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonabeck/ppa/ubuntu `lsb_release -cs` main” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jonabeck-ppa.list

7. jblondie says:

Trufflepig,
    Note that if you have a security code on your iPhone you’ll have to enter that before all the folders show up in Nautilus.

jblondie

8. Trufflepig says:

@ jblondie

Just reinstalled and you’re right on the money. Once I entered the sec code, plugged it in, and it mounted up perfect. Wouldn’t have thought of that nuance… thanks a bunch!

9. powermite says:

Still getting that “only DCIM” folder like trufflepig was. I also reinstalled and put in my screen unlock code, as directed.

I’m using an iPod touch OS 3.1.1

10. powermite says:

I even deactivated the security code feature…

11. gi says:

New iphone. also have the DCIM problem.

12. Ashbrook says:

This procedure works brilliantly for my 16GB Touch on my Jaunty 64-bit setup. Can see all the folder structure on the device. I can drag and drop files into the filesystem, so all I need is a non-iTunes music player on the Touch itself.

13. Andrew Sam says:

In Kubuntu, the device notifier plasma shows up saying “USB Vendor specific interface” and when I click that, it just goes back to the home directory. i.e. fails to load

14. WindPower says:

@Ashbrook Try dTunes.

15. Yva says:

It works but all the time gives DBUS and unable to mount error messages.

Where do I need to put the mp3 files?

16. Ray Meyer says:

Followed directions above and icon shows up on desktop, but get an ‘Unable to mount iPhone’ messagebox. Detail on that states that ‘Mount operation appears to be successful, but kernel doesn’t list the voulume as mounted.’

Running 9.04 Ubuntu, fully updated as of today (2009-10-02).

17. theron says:

Using Jaunty, having a problem getting the gpg key. I type in the terminal:
    sudo apt-key adv –recv-keys –keyserver.ubuntu.com F0876AC9

and get this message:
    Executing: gpg –ignore-time-conflict –no-options –no-default-keyring –secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg –trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg –keyring /etc/gpg: Invalid option “==keyserver.ubuntu.com”

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

18. Globulik says:

Works great with Hardy Heron & iTouch 2ng generation.

However when browsing the iTouch with Nautilus, i notice that it is not the same as when i browse it with the Terminal Application on the (jailbroken) device.
    That’s somehow a problem since i want to couple iFuse and dTune to listen to music without using iTunes… Any ideas ?

Thanks, cheers !

19. Globulik says:

One solution for my above problem:

On the iTouch filesystem, the mount point is located to:
    /private/var/mobile/Media
    whereas dTunes checks media files on:
    /var/mobile/Library/Downloads

If the folder “Downloads” does not exist, you can create a symbolic link called Downloads (where dTunes looks) and pointing to a dedicated folder (dTune for instance): /private/var/mobile/Media/dTune.
    Note that those operations must be run from the iTouch and not from the computer.

A quick script (to paste in private/var/mobile/Media) would be:

mkdir /private/var/mobile/Media/dTunes
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Media/dTunes /var/mobile/Library/Downloads

This way dTunes will follow the link to the right place.

20. Ray Meyer says:

More info to pass on. The selections that cause the error I noted “‘Unable to mount iPhone’ messagebox.”
    only occur with the GUI iPhone icon (Desktop or in file manager (Thunar). If I browse the file system media directory, I find I can access the iPhone directory and browse the media files. I did find (on my initial install, gone since reboot), there was an additional iPhone_ directory in the media directory.

Hope this is helpful!

21. Andrew Sam says:

Does this work on Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 beta with up-to-date updates installed and the iFuse program installed as per the tutorial. My iPhone 3g running on OS 3.1 doesn’t even blink. Absolutely nothing happens. No icon on the desktop or Nautilus.

Sure it works on iphone OS 3.0+?

22. Travis says:

@Andrew Sam, I can’t get it to work with 9.10 and ipod touch with 3.1.1 so… yeah.

23. a says:

also no joy — hardy and 3.1.1.

24. FunkyM says:

We’d be glad if people could use the libiphone bugtracker at:

That way issues can actually be picked up by the developers (especially those with the DCIM only folder problem).

There will be a new release out and ifuse mount issues should be history as GVFS now officially adopted libiphone support with an AFC backend so you get “native” GNOME automounting soon.

25. ipolevoy says:

This worked perfectly for me. I can copy images from my IPhone 3gs to Ubuntu 9.04.
    But when I copied images from desktopk to the telephone I could see them in Nautilus, but not in the IPhone. Is there a trick to this?

thanks in advance,

cheers

26. Kay says:

I’m really new at ubuntu.. I don’t understand why it keeps saying that it can’t find package ifuse when I sudo apt-get install ifuse. I did all the other steps… really confused and frustrated… >.>

27. asasadad says:

this does not work in karmic latest build
    and jonabeck ppa

28. marcus says:

I was able to get my Hardy Ubuntu box to see the iTouch using this method but now I can not get gtkpod to see or sync with the iTouch. When I try to sync using gtkpod I get the following message:

“Error initialising iPod: Couldn’t find the iPod firewire ID
    Newly mounted iPod at ‘/media/iPod’ could not be loaded into gtkpod.”

From what I’ve read I need to get the firwire ID for further configuration even though I am using a USB connection. My iTouch is jailbroken and I’m using gtkpod version 0.99.12 with Ubuntu 8.04.

Once I can get gtkpod to see the iTouch I will need to figure out what scripts to use to synchronize Evolution with the iTouch. The choices are:
    /usr/share/gtkpod-aac/scripts/sync-evocalendar.sh for Evolution calendar & tasks

I’m not sure what to use for the contact list & notes. Here are some possibilities:

/usr/share/gtkpod-aac/scripts/sync-evolution.sh
    /usr/share/gtkpod-aac/scripts/sync-notes.sh

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

marcus

29. flengure says:

Does not work on karmic 8.10, iphone 3GS v 3.0.1
    only F-Spot seeing a DCIM. Probably has to do with changes in the iphone firmware 3.0.1

30. flengure says: