Note:- Before running this script take a backup of the default background file located at /usr/share/images/xsplash.
- xsplash (default on ubuntu karmic)
sudo apt-get install imagemagick
or click on the following link
Download the script from here
1. Unpack wallpaper_daemon.py, store it anywhere you like (e.g. ~/.scripts) and make it executable (chmod +x wallpaper_daemon.py).
2. Run ./wallpaper_daemon.py
3. Add wallpaper_daemon.py to the startup programs (gnome-session-properties).
Testing (without restarting)
Just start change your desktop wallpaper as you normally do (e.g. through gnome-appearance-properties).
Type sudo xsplash in a terminal to see the splash screen (exit with ESC) or log out to see the login screen.
Uninstall/Restore Default Xsplash
1. Remove wallpaper_daemon.py from the startup programs (gnome-session-properties).
2. Extract your backup file. If you used the install routine this file is called backup.TIMESTAMP (where TIMESTAMP is dynamically generated number) and located at /usr/share/images/xsplash. To get the extraction path right use the following command (you may use the TAB key to complete backup. with the right timestamp number):
tar -C / -xf /usr/share/images/xsplash/backup.TIMESTAMP
3. Version 1.0 only:
sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_2560x1600.jpg
4. restart (dont change your desktop wallpaper before restarting!)
You want to use your gtk and icon theme for the login screen? Run ./wallpaper_daemon.py
--gdm (Note that this only works for system wide installed themes)
If you want to use a different theme than the one you are using on your desktop just use the following commands and replace $my_..._theme with the name of the theme you want to use:
sudo -u gdm gconftool-2
--type string /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme $my_gtk_theme
sudo -u gdm gconftool-2
--type string /desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme $my_icon_theme
To restore the default gdm themes run ./wallpaper_daemon.py
Incoming search terms:
- ubuntu desktop background坏了
- GDK_IS_PIXBUF failed
- usr/share/gdm backgroud
- ubuntu13 04设置gdm
- ubuntu desktop background setup
- sudo -u gdm
- install xsplash on archlinux
- install desktop ubuntu on vps blank destop wallpaper
- How to set up desktop back ground for your computer
- gnome background default