May 4, 2010 · General · Email This Post

This tutorial will explain Known Ubuntu 10.04(Lucid Lynx) issues/bugs with workarounds

Full credit goes here

1) Upgrade from ubuntu 8.04 -> ubuntu 10.04 can break apt-get

The package flashplugin-nonfree has been problematic when upgrading 8.04 -> 10.04 and breaks apt-get.Bug reported here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/429841

Workaround

Open the terminal and run the following commands

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/flashplugin-nonfree.prerm

sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq flashplugin-nonfree

sudo dpkg --purge --force-remove-reinstreq flashplugin-nonfree

2) Nautilus location bar, bread crumbs vs text based

Breadcrumbs is now the default. The button to switch between the two has been removed. Users can switch with ctrl+l and then esc to revert to breadcrumbs. To permanently switch to text users have to use gconf-editor from a terminal. Note: gconf-editor has been removed from the menus. The key is.

apps>nautilus> preferences> always_use_location_entry

3) Minimize, Maximize and Close button placement

A decision has been taken to move the placement to the left. Mark Shuttleworth explained that this was because "something" is going to be placed in the right hand area in the next release. Moving the buttons now would help enable this change.

The buttons are in the old location on all default themes apart from Ambiance,Radiance and Dust, If you still want the Ambiance ,Radiance or Dust theme but with buttons on the right, choose one of those other themes and use the Customize button to achieve what you want. e.g.

1. System > Preferences > Appearance
2. Select the theme icon "New Wave"
3. Click the button "Customize.."
4. Select tab "Controls" and select "Ambiance"
5. Select tab "Window border" and select "Ambiance"
6. Select tab "Icons" and scroll down and select "Ubuntu-mono-dark"
7. Select "Save Theme" to your choice.

Using gconf-editor is not the right approach as this could bork future themes. This change makes it easier for themes to do interesting things with window borders. Unfortunately, if the wrong approach spreads, they won't be able to do that.

4) Boot options hidden by default on Desktop and Netbook LIVECDs

Workaround

The Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Desktop and Netbook CDs feature a new boot interface that is non interactive by default.
To configure advanced boot options, press any key at the first boot screen.

5) Various users who have ALPS touchpads have reported that scrolling no longer works in the final release

Workaround

Open the terminal and run the following commands

sudo modprobe -r psmouse
sudo modprobe psmouse proto=imps

You should be able to make it permanent by putting:

options psmouse proto=imps

in /etc/modprobe.d/options and rebooting

6) How to Fix the Big and Ugly Plymouth Logo in Ubuntu 10.04

Problem

The logo looks fine when you install Ubuntu, but, after you install the proprietary Nvidia and ATI video drivers, the logo gets bigger and ugly! Below, we provide two fixes for this issue: the first one will fix the resolution of the Ubuntu logo, pretty much like it was when you installed Ubuntu; and the second one will remove the logo, showing only a dark screen until the login manager appears.

Wrokaround

Step 1: Hit the ALT+F2 key combination, paste the following command and check the "Run in terminal" option:

sudo apt-get install v86d

Step 2: Hit the ALT+F2 key combination, paste the following command and check the "Run in terminal" option:

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub

...enter your password when asked and hit the Enter key.

- Replace the following line (line number 9):

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

with this one:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset video=uvesafb:mode_option=1280×1024-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap"

- Replace the following line (line number 18):

#GRUB_GFXMODE=640×480

with this one:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1280×1024

Step 3: Hit the ALT+F2 key combination, paste the following command and check the "Run in terminal" option:

gksu gedit /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

When the text window appears, add the following line at the end of the file:

uvesafb mode_option=1280×1024-24 mtrr=3 scroll=ywrap

Step 4: Hit the ALT+F2 key combination, paste the following command and check the "Run in terminal" option:

echo FRAMEBUFFER=y | sudo tee /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash

Step 5: Hit the ALT+F2 key combination, paste the following command and check the "Run in terminal" option:

sudo update-grub2

Step 6: Hit the ALT+F2 key combination, paste the following command and check the "Run in terminal" option:

sudo update-initramfs -u

Step 7: Reboot your computer. When the system starts, you should see a better looking Ubuntu logo!

The commands will only work for Grub2, not legacy.If you are using legacy bootloader use the following instructions to install grub2 and follow the above instructions

To install Grub2 before following the instructions on how to fix Plymoth screen.

sudo apt-get remove grub
sudo apt-get install grub-pc
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub2

Full Credit goes here

36 Comments to “Known Ubuntu 10.04(Lucid Lynx) issues/bugs with workarounds”

1. er says:

I have problems with nvidia drivers for gtx275 :(
    a nd where is fckn volume control?

2. saurabh says:

Instead of making your user to hit that ‘Alt+F2′ combination and to make those commands run again and again in terminal why don’t you make them open the terminal first and then type the commands in the terminal. Just a suggestion . Thanks for the post though.

3. Tanis says:

Wrong background color for Google Desktop, VLC, OOo quicklauncher and Beagle and CheckGMail tray icons :-(

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1466473 too.

4. saurabh says:

Step 5 is not working out for me. Its says that the splash in line 9 of grub was not found. I think it has to do something with the step 2 because that is line 9 and told to edit that line in step 2. Please tell me if you can help me troubleshoot it. Thanks.

5. Emil says:

I get the same error as saurabh, would love a fix. Thanks :)

6. Muhammad Ahmed says:

This AWESOME<<!!!THANKS A MILLION I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS THANX THANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANXTHANX

7. Cristian says:

Hi, nothing happens..just a black screen on startup. By the way my resolution is 1920×1080, help me please, hehe… (using nvidia)

8. Fr33d0m says:

Nothing on the Intel video regression?

9. Fr33d0m says:

1. There is a regression affecting Intel Video.

2. There is a white background on some icons in the panel (liferea & CheckGmail for example).

3. The audio icon was added to the indicator applet so if you removed the indicator applet in Karmic and then upgraded to Lucid you no longer had an audio icon. To get it back, reload the indicator applet and then go to synaptic and uninstall indicator-messages.

4. I don’t think this is related to Lucid but there is no submit button on this page. There is a rectangular button-like thing below, but no text.

10. Fr33d0m says:

Sorry for the doubled comment.

There is text in the button, just too light to see. The darkroom theme–the only one that doesn’t leave a white background on behind the icons– makes the text too light to see. I guess I’ll have to load a less buggy version of Ubuntu.

11. dorjjedan says:

saurabh, I am having the same issue with step 5. I get the following when running sudo update-grub2

/etc/default/grub: 9: splash: not found

12. Jonas says:

I had the same problem “splash: not found”

The problem was the quote symbols. When i copied the line I got right double quotation marks when they should be the regular double quotes.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the guide!

13. jibel says:

In the original post, could you please change the line
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash nomodeset video=uvesafb:mode_option=1280×1024-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap”

by

Note that ” is different from ”
    /etc/default/grub needs to be a valid shell script.

Users are simply pasting the configuration line from this article and are breaking grub’s configuration. Which in turns generates useless reports in launchpad.

Thanks in advance and continue your hard work in helping people.

14. jibel says:

Argh. The message parser replace the quotes.
    The right quotes are the ASCII character 0×22 not the one you see in the message.

15. Firewave says:

The method for grub2 isn’t snappy.. try this before, with only 2 steps (lucid only)

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
    Replace the following line (line number 18):
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640×480
    with this one:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1280×1024
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280×10240×24

then start
    sudo update-grub

That’s it !

If you don’t know what modes are supported by your graphics card, go to the grub command line and run ‘vbeinfo’. It will list all available modes.

16. saurabh says:

dorjjedan yeah the problem was with quotes and I figured it out just after I posted that comment. Sorry I forgot to update here. Type the quotes yourself and you will get it working . Try to play with those resolutions to get the best display.

17. Gustavo says:

Someone found the boot a little slower after the change or just printing? Before carrying only a “line of balls” are now two.
    Thanks for the reply ;)

18. Wiley says:

unfortunately solution 6 only produces a green striped screen instead of a nice Ubuntu logo. Hopefully a roll back works…

19. Jose says:

Problem 6 solved for me!… I have a Nvidia video card. Now the startup (and shutdown) process is correct.

I’m not sure if all these steps are necessary (based in the initial workaround):

Please, try the following steps:

Step 1: sudo apt-get install v86d

Step 2: gksu gedit /etc/default/grub

…enter your password when asked and hit the Enter key.

- Replace the following line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash”

with this one:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash nomodeset”

- Replace the following line:

#GRUB_GFXMODE=640×480

with this one:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1280×1024

Step 3: echo FRAMEBUFFER=y | sudo tee /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash

Step 4: sudo update-grub2

Step 5: sudo update-initramfs -u

Step 6: Reboot your system

20. Sassinak says:

Ah, what do you mean, breadcrumb VS text-based ? Why the H*** did they remove the switch button!! Whose bad idea was that? (Gnome?) Bring it back, presto!

Thanks for the rest of the workarounds. It seems to me, between the startup script and these, that Ubuntu is getting harder to install….

21. Allin Cottrell says:

Thanks for the tips! But they’re NOT suitable for newbies. You cannot copy-n-paste from the above without knowing enough to replace all the invalid symbols: straight double quotes in place of left and right double quotes, and also plain ‘x’ in place of the multiplication sign (gah!) in the monitor resolution specs.

22. Gustavo says:

I realized that before the amendment was a black screen and then splash yes, for this reason was a little faster (it was the impression he gave.)

23. tanguy says:

I upgrade from Ubuntu 9 via the standard process upgrade proposed. Everything was OK until the reboot: the computer remain stuck.
    Any recommendation to recover?
    Thanks.

24. Dave says:

I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 and it broke my laptop. All I get is a blank screen. I tried recovery mode and was able to get my computer to run in low graphics mode. I found xorg.conf missing. It wont detect my display display and the best screen resolution I can get is 800×600. I tried every fix I could find, including manually editing xorg.conf and using xrandr. I can only get a blank screen or low graphics mode. Some upgrade… now I have to erase everything and install 9.10 back on it.

25. Dave says:

I tried a fresh install of 10.04 on my desktop and my laptop computers. Firefox doesnt work even though I can update and install software using synaptic. Desktop effects dont work on my desktop computer now. I am not impressed with 10.04 so far.

26. vda says:

Endless problems with 10.04 locking up and the only way to get it back is the power button. Re-installed several times nothing seems to help.

27. George says:

I experience the same problem with Samsung NC20 laptop which uses VIA VX800 chipset. None of the solutions here seem to work for me since I do not get a terminal window even. The only thing I can do is replacing “splash quiet” in grub options to “init=/bin/bash” which gives me a rudimentary terminal window. But I can not read or write to drives with this terminal.

28. ABDUL WAHEED says:

pls I only get nothing after typing the ff commands ‘sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

29. Lars says:

Dave: try selecting a different Kernel at startup. I also have a blackscreen on my thinkpad X40, but at least it starts up and works when selecting an older Kernel (e.g. 20) at the GRUB start up page (hit Esc).

Hopefully there will be some upgrade to end this startup routine

30. zyde says:

I am unable to get to the Bar with Application and System menu, browsers and pidgin etc are way up the screen and I cannot switch from window to window. None of the shortcuts work. Streaming radio is not working either.

This is extremely disappointing.