These instructions cover how to build this from source using Subversion. All italicized instuctions are commands that you can copy and paste (one line at a time), otherwise they are just that -- only instructions.
1. First, lets get a few packages:
sudo apt-get install libglew1.5 libglew1.5-dev ftgl-dev libpulse-dev subversionsudo apt-get install cmake libvisual-0.4-dev libsdl-dev libqt4-dev build-essential(Note: It's likely you may already have some of these packages, if so that's cool.)
2. Next, add the trunk (the files you will need) to a directory in our home folder:
cd~cd projectM-Trunk/srcmkdir projectmcd projectmsvn co https://projectm.svn.sf.net/svnroot/projectm/trunk projectM-Trunk
3. Now we can start the steps to configure before we install:
ccmake .(Note: There's a "space" then "dot" after ccmake.)Press "c" to enter the cmake configure screen.Change the "CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX" value from "/usr/local" to "/usr".Change the "CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE" to "Release".Press "g" to generate your changes, which will create your makefile needed for compiling.Press "q" after that has been generated.
4. Now we are ready to compile and install:
makesudo make install
5. You should now see ProjectM-pulseaudio in your Sound menu under the Applications menu. Just start this up before or after launching your music player (I prefer Songbird). You can also start it from the CLI (command line) by typing:
6. You can enter/exit fullscreen mode by pressing "f" when the projectM window is selected. Pressing "m" will bring up projectM's menus where you can select different presets and play with settings. Pressing "l" will stop the cycling of presets, and only display the one currently being used. Have fun!
Articles that helped me with my first projectM install: