Support lifespan for Ubuntu 14.10
Ubuntu 14.10 will be supported for 9 months for Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Core, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Ubuntu Kylin along with all other flavours.
Before You Start
- You can directly upgrade to Ubuntu 14.10 ("Utopic Unicorn") from Ubuntu 14.04 ("Trusty Tahr").
- Be sure that you have all updates applied to your current version of Ubuntu before you upgrade.
- Before upgrading it is recommended that you read the release notes for Ubuntu 14.10, which document caveats and workarounds for known issues in this version.
- This is still is beta version so don't upgrade on your production systems
Ubuntu Desktops 14.04 to 14.10
You can easily upgrade over the network with the following procedure.
- Run the update-manager application from the Unity Dash or a command line
- In Update Manager, click the Settings... button, and enter your password to start the Software Sources application.
- Select the sub menu Updates from the Software Sources application.
- Confirm the "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version:" option is set to "For any new version", and change it if otherwise.
- Close the Software Sources application and return to Update Manager.
- In Update Manager, click the Check button to check for new updates.
- If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.
- A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release.
- Click Upgrade.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Upgrade Ubuntu 14.04 Servers
Install update-manager-core if it is not already installed:
sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
Launch the upgrade tool:
Follow the on-screen instructions.