Note: This is still a beta release. Do not install it on production machines. The final stable version will be released in 23rd April 2009.
Important Notes Before Upgrade
- Take a complete Back up all your data. There is no guarantee that all will go well.
- Remember that this software is still beta at this time. It is not for production machines.
- Be sure that you have all updates applied to Ubuntu 8.10 before you upgrade
Procedure to follow
To upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10, press Alt+F2 and type in “update-manager -d” (without the quotes) into the command box.
Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release ‘9.04' is available. Click Upgrade
This will show you Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope Release notes click on upgrade
Downloading Upgrade tool in progress
Preparing for upgrade in progress
If you are using any third party sources in your /etc/apt/sources.list file it will be disabled at the time of upgrade process click close
Setting new software channels in progress
Starting the upgrade process window click on Start Upgrade
Downloading the new Packages in Progress
Installing Packages in Progress
Installing Packages Progress in Terminal
Automatic crash reports configuration file replacement option click on Replace
Cleaning Up process in Progress
Remove obsolete packages window click on remove
You need to restart the system to complete the Upgrade by clicking “Restart Now”
Testing Your Upgrade
You can check the ubuntu version installed using the following command
sudo lsb_release -a
Output Looks like below
Incoming search terms:
- upgrade ubuntu 8 10 to 9 04
- how to upgrade ubuntu 8 10 to 9 04
- upgrade ubuntu 8 10
- update ubuntu 8 10 to 9 04
- how to upgrade ubuntu 8 10 to 9 4
- ubuntu 8 10 upgrade 9 4