Unlike Rhythmbox, Banshee or iTunes, Xnoise uses a tracklist centric design. The tracklist is a list of video or music tracks that are played one by one without being removed (right side of window). This gives you the possibility to queue any track in any order, regardless if they are on the same album. Tracks or groups of tracks can be reordered at any time via drag and drop.
The media browser (left side of the window) contains all available media as a hierarchical tree structure of the available metadata. It is easy to find a single track, artist or album by using this tree structure or by just entering a search term. From the media browser, single or multiple tracks, streams, albums, artists or videos can be dragged into the tracklist to every position.
Fast searchable media library
Music and Video support
‘Smart playlists' for last played and most played tracks
ID3 tag editing
Automatic album art fetching
‘Now playing' pane
Can play any GStreamer media
Media key support
Lightweight and speedy
Plugins for UbuntuOne Music Store, MPRIS, LastFm (album art and scrobbling), Lyrics fetching, Notifications, Ubuntu Soundmenu, ...
Within a playing track, it's possible to jump to any position by clicking the position bar or by scrolling on it. Metadata of tracks can be edited and by that the appearance of the tracks in Xnoise's mediabrowser can be improved. Xnoise is always running in one single instance.
A local database (sqlite) is used for caching the metadata and media locations. Song tags are imported via taglib. All that gives Xnoise a really great speed!
Columns are customizable in visibility, order and width. Everything is restored on the next start. There is autoscaling for the columns, that will only use available space and though avoid horizontal scrollbars.
What is new in version 0.2.9
* Redesign GUI for Settings-Dialog and for Add-Media-Dialog
* use strip function on artist and album imports
* Extend media import API
* Extend item handler API
* Add fix for window hiding/howing (Tal)
* Update portugse translation (Sergio Marques)
* Activate standard item handlers for dynamic playlists, too
* Context menus for dynamic playlists
* Add query interface for dynamic playlists
* Fix keyboard opened menus for tracklist and musicbrowser
* Use nautilus feature (if available) for file indication
* Add FAQ entry to help menu
* Magnatune: add support for ‘speechless' streaming with user login
* Magnatune: album downloads for registered users
* Magnatune: add online change monitoring
* Magnatune: use album images in Magnatune plugin
* Magnatune: use genre in search/filtering
* Magnatune: change store location of db
* Update packaging data
* Replace hard coded keycodes with the (now available) Gdk.Key.*
* Recommend tumbler thumbnailing in packaging
* Update debian package creation script (Tal)
* Code cleanups
* Various bug fixes
Install Xnoise media player 0.2.9 in ubuntu
Open the terminal and run the following commands
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shkn/xnoise
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xnoise