May 2, 2010 · General · Email This Post

This tutorial will explain how to fix Firefox slow problem in ubuntu 10.04(Lucid)

Open your Firefox and type about:config at URL address bar and hit enter. To make a False into True, select the line to change, and double click. On the 2nd option change, right click and select Modify

-- network.http.pipelining > Make it True

-- network.http.pipelining.maxrequests > Make it 8 or 10

-- network.http.proxy.pipelining > Make it True

-- network.dns.disableIPv6 > Make it True

I hope this helps for some users

97 Comments to “How to fix Firefox slow problem in ubuntu 10.04(Lucid)”

1. brian t says:

In addition to those, you also need to check the following both read “1.1”:
    network.http.version
    network.http.proxy.version

Your system may already have this setting as default, but it’s worth checking, since pipelining only works on http 1.1 connections.

2. diablo says:

just install swiftfox… all of that is default on swiftfox.
    swiftfox is one badass tweak of firefox…

3. Peter says:

Thank you. I noticed a difference right away when using my RSS reader. I did have to restart Firefox though.

4. kasp says:

Thanks, solved that annoying issue for me.

5. Jon says:

I’ve tried all the above but still have very slow response (minutes to get anywhere) with most websites. The strange thing is that some websites load quickly without problems. The problem appeared after I upgraded to Lucid Lynx.

Any ideas what it might be?

6. Jayson says:

Does Google Chrome or Chromium have this issue in 10.04? If not I would say try them out as I have switched completely to Google Chrome and it is much faster than Firefox ever was for me in Ubuntu.

7. darinmiller says:

My Qwest DSL Web address resolution was very slow (30s delay) until I changed the DNS servers to point Google’s server. I updated both my router’s primary and secondary DNS to point to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 respectively.

On the Ubuntu side, I edited my DNS wireless servers on the IPv4 Setting tab. In the DNS servers window add “8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4″ without the quotes.

Now my DNS resolution screams like it should. Google has web instructions that offer more details.

8. Joe says:

Seems to have done the trick for me. I was blaming my ISP until it occurred to me that the problem started when I upgraded to Lucid Lynx. I installed Opera and it runs fine. After these modifications Firefox seems to be running about as fast as Opera.

9. Pajo says:

Thanks,this is great.

10. Neil Martin says:

I have now switched over to Epiphany 2.30.2 which is blazingly fast – Webkit is miles ahead of Gecko IMO. Had to uninstall the IcedTea Java plugin and install the Sun Java plugin through the Partner repository to get it working, as well as installing the 64bit native version of the Flash plugin. Once set up, It’s absolutely fantastic. Being the ‘default’ browser for GNOME, I’d be suprised if it didn’t become the default for Ubuntu soon.

11. hottestbrain says:

Did not work for me. My slow internet on 10.04 is due to DNS related problems. When pinging http://www.google.com it takes about 5 to 10 seconds for a reply. Pinging for 74.125.77.99 (google? servers) it’s down to a normal 27.588 ms

12. Etescartz says:

I always use 64bit versions of Ubuntu and it always get down to flash not working properly or at all in Firefox on Ubuntu64bit. Found some workaround scripts and it works at least, but animations are pretty choppy and not always showing up (aka Farmville and other flash games on Facebook).

13. Jason says:

This fix worked for me on both my old IBM laptop and my EEE 1000. Thanks!

14. riprop says:

Didn’t work for me :(

Any ideas how to resolve it ?

15. CybeRManiac says:

thanks. i was using swiftfox due to the slowness. now i can switch to firefox

16. Mirzolot says:

Thanks these instructions worked for me :D

17. manward says:

thanks,my problem with firefox fix also.

18. LullabyNine says:

Thank so much, this seems to have resolved the issue for me.

19. Dentedmind says:

Thanks bud….worked like a charm…screaming along now for sure.

20. you can also install dnsmasq and point your first DNS server to 127.0.0.1. This makes name resolution take 0ms rather than 50ms. This keeps DNS resolving local and can accelerate the web access, you can also ditch crappy firefox and use chromium.

21. Michael Linde says:

This solution worked great for me. Thanks!

22. BoobaSkaya says:

It works for me, thanks !

23. webmist49 says:

thanks heaps – I have recently installed Lucid Lynx and finding Firefox was really struggling – you saved me further frustration. Now it’s super fast.God bless you for sharing!

24. slownet says:

Tried above, but does not help me. 9 was fine and fast, as soon as 10.04 installed, net speed came to a crawl. Any other suggestions?

25. webmist49 says:

well I am back 0- turns out I still have a problem. firefox is fast to open sites, but it takes ages to start up first, Chronium and Opera can start up long before firefox can. I tried downloading Swiftfox but same problem – anyone got any ideas? I cant find anything on the net about this particular problem. Am using Lucid Lynx by the way.

thanks in advance

26. Use less addons and plugins will make the browser faster, the default is to bloat it to hell with all the video plugins. You can see them if you type:

about:plugins

In the address bar, look at them all! That’s why its so dog slow as you are loading ALL that into RAM when it loads then all your flashblocking/scriptblocking rubbish which people always load on and it adds up to a big mess.

My recommendation is to ditch firefox and grab chromium, its a whole bunch faster.

You can also run:

gksudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf

and use this guide:

27. Patty says:

It works for me ! Great job, thanks !

28. roughi says:

perfect, instructions above solved problem instantly, thx a lot!

29. ANkit says:

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 with following specs:
    Intel® Pentium® Dual Core™ T4400 (2.2GHz/800MHz FSB/1MB cache)
    Memory
    3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
    Hard Drive
    250GB1 SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    Video Card
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
    Sound
    High Definition Audio 2.0
    Wireless Networking Cards
    Dell 1397 Wireless-G
    ———————————
    I got Windows 7 OS with this laptop, but i installed Ubuntu 10.04. Now I have a partition for these two where I have given only 20GB to Windows 7.
    I dont use windows much.
    Earlier Ubuntu use to boot a lot faster in comparison to what it does now. Internet has been a problem right from the beginning.
    I use Mozilla and its slow. I have tried opera and Google chrome, but they are also very slow. I have tried several things from the blogs like
    Method 1
    create fie named bad_list in /etc/modprobe.d containing this line:
    Code:

alias net-pf-10 off

Now reboot and voila, no IPv6 on your system!

This method will work even if /etc/modprobe.d/aliases get replaced at some update.

Method 2
    network.http.pipelining > Make it True

– network.http.pipelining.maxrequests > Make it 8 or 10

– network.http.proxy.pipelining > Make it True

– network.dns.disableIPv6 > Make it True
    ————————————————————–
    BUt this didnt help at all.
    Even the boot time of Ubuntu is more. Its almost like Windows.
    It would be of great help if someone can help me out with this.

Thanks & Regards
    Ankit SIkka

30. New to Ubuntu says:

Works great. Thanks a lot. I was about to give up.