October 28, 2009 · General · Email This Post

We have already posted some time ago about Nice Ubuntu themes for Jaunty and Intrepid Users and this is updated for karmic users now

For Ubuntu Karmic users

First edit /etc/apt/sources.list file

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

add the following lines

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu karmic main

Save and exit the file

add the GPG key using the following command

gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371 --recv-key 881574DE && gpg -a --export 881574DE | sudo apt-key add -

Or simply use the following command

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bisigi

Update the source list using the following command

sudo aptitude update

Install all the themes using the following command

sudo aptitude install zgegblog-themes

or click on the following link

apt://zgegblog-themes

This will install the following themes

Showtime for Gnome

Bamboo Zen

bamboo-prs

Ubuntu sunrise

ubuntu_presentation

Aqua Dreams

expose

If you want to install above themes separately use the following commands

sudo aptitude install showtime-theme

sudo aptitude install balanzan-theme

sudo aptitude install infinity-theme

sudo aptitude install wild-shine-theme

sudo aptitude install exotic-theme

sudo aptitude install tropical-theme

sudo aptitude install bamboo-zen-theme

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-sunrise-theme

sudo aptitude install aquadreams-theme

Remove Themes

If you want to remove full package use the following command

sudo aptitude remove zgegblog-themes

If you want to remove each theme use the following syntax

sudo aptitude remove themename

Note :- themename is showtime-theme,balanzan-theme etc

109 Comments to “Nice themes for ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) users”

1. Luke Barnes says:

About time to! These are brilliant themes that aren’t trying to be Mac or Windows – they show off Ubuntu and Gnome as an operating system and desktop in their own right!

Brilliant themes!

2. Rajeev Jain says:

keyserver receive failed
    let me know how to proceed
    thanks

3. Rajeev Jain says:

Themes look great and unique, Karmic should popularize itself to stop the lame windows heard following

4. Dangger says:

Thanks, these are all very nice!

5. Nico - Argentina says:

Remember that in karmic you can just do:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bisigi

To add the repository, this works fine, and add the keys and everything you need, I guess you have to do sudo apt-get update before installing a package from this new ppa

6. Loafers says:

Thanks for sharing! These are nice themes indeed!

7. jason says:

These themes look great!
    But trying to execute:
    $sudo aptitude install zgegblog-themes
    I get several packages (only theme related) that will be installed and also that:
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    gnome-mount{u} libgmyth0{u} libmysqlclient15off{u} libpolkit-gnome0{u}
    linux-headers-2.6.31-11{u} linux-headers-2.6.31-11-generic{u}
    policykit-gnome{u}
    When I run
    $sudo apt-get update
    $sudo apt-get upgrade
    no packages install/remove/upgrade, so I guess my system is up to date.
    I don’t think that i should remove the previous packages.Anyone has the same problem??

8. Ken says:

@jason

Can you post the output of running:

lsb_release -a

Also try using “aptitude” instead of “apt-get” since “aptitude” is the superior replacement for apt-get. “aptitude why gnome-mount” will show the reason that the gnome-mount package is installed in terms of dependencies.

9. KruyKaze says:

How do I get the login themes to work?

10. Vevmesteren says:

I get no response from the key server. I run into this issue quite often as of late. Could this be due to large crowds heeding the call to update?

V

11. Loafers says:

Most likely. Everything is super slow right now.

12. mrwes40 says:

I don’t believe the GDM themes can be applied with Karmic; that option was removed.

~Bill

13. jason says:

@Ken
    Thanks for your reply!
    Aptitude didn’t work either, so I had to download the tar.gz sources from Bisigi Project website and install them through appearance menu without problem.
    Terminal gives:
    jason@jason-laptop:~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 9.10
    Release: 9.10
    Codename: karmic
    I hope all upgrades from alpha6 to final went right.Do you think I need a clean install?

14. Ken says:

@jason

apt-get and aptitude will remove programs that have the following two characteristics:

1. Packages that were not manually installed (installed by specifying exactly that program)

2. Packages that were installed by being dependencies of a package in the past but are currently no longer dependencies.

While upgrading from Karmic Alpha 6 some dependency changes probably occurred causing packages to meet those qualifications. You could try using the “System->Administration->Computer Janitor” menu option to clean up or you might want to reinstall from the official release.

15. harsh says:

how do i get the theme to work..pl help

16. tokhi says:

I wan getting gpg error while adding the gpg key , but it was solved after I issued the problem in ubuntuforums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8226820#post8226820

17. Shibang says:

Thanks a lot for your work, these really are impressive.

18. Dominik says:

Terrific Themes!

Thanks for your efforts.

19. Garikai Dzoma says:

Wow!!! Thanx a lot. Now I love my Ubuntu more.

20. gabasa says:

please somebody would tell me how do i get these themes working? what should i do?

21. Stian says:

Great themes! Thanks a lot for posting this! :)

22. larry says:

Thanks for the themes. Will the source for these themes going to add more?

23. eric says:

Great looking themes thank you the themes for 9.10 are worse then themes from before.

24. eddie says:

I followed all the steps to install those themes from repository and it seems all are installed. Now, I don’t really know how to make use of them because nothing really changed after I installed all themes. I tried to look for the new themes in the Theme Tab on my background panel, they are not there either. Sorry for this noob questioon, but hopefully, anyone could help me out with this.

25. happy manah says:

Looking Good!
    Downloading now!

26. DDN says:

THx bro, i like it hehe

27. happy manah says:

huge thumbs up………….
    hope to see more theme soon!!!!!!!

28. Godfrey says:

Nice. I’m using the Exotic theme with the Showtime background ^^

29. Leah says:

I tried to install all of these and got this error message:

leah@dinosaursss:~$ sudo aptitude install balanzan-theme
    E: Type ‘Did’ is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
    E: Type ‘Did’ is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
    E: The list of sources could not be read.
    E: Type ‘Did’ is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
    E: The list of sources could not be read.

I have no clue what I did wrong! Help?

30. Cord says:

These are all great options. It’s amazing how something so small can make such a huge difference. My favorite is the infinity theme.

By the way, does anyone know where the wallpapers for the themes are store? I’d like to save them for future use.