October 28, 2009 · General · Email This Post

We have already posted some time ago about Nice Ubuntu themes for Jaunty and Intrepid Users and this is updated for karmic users now

For Ubuntu Karmic users

First edit /etc/apt/sources.list file

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

add the following lines

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu karmic main

Save and exit the file

add the GPG key using the following command

gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371 --recv-key 881574DE && gpg -a --export 881574DE | sudo apt-key add -

Or simply use the following command

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bisigi

Update the source list using the following command

sudo aptitude update

Install all the themes using the following command

sudo aptitude install zgegblog-themes

or click on the following link

apt://zgegblog-themes

This will install the following themes

Showtime for Gnome

Bamboo Zen

bamboo-prs

Ubuntu sunrise

ubuntu_presentation

Aqua Dreams

expose

If you want to install above themes separately use the following commands

sudo aptitude install showtime-theme

sudo aptitude install balanzan-theme

sudo aptitude install infinity-theme

sudo aptitude install wild-shine-theme

sudo aptitude install exotic-theme

sudo aptitude install tropical-theme

sudo aptitude install bamboo-zen-theme

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-sunrise-theme

sudo aptitude install aquadreams-theme

Remove Themes

If you want to remove full package use the following command

sudo aptitude remove zgegblog-themes

If you want to remove each theme use the following syntax

sudo aptitude remove themename

Note :- themename is showtime-theme,balanzan-theme etc

109 Comments to “Nice themes for ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) users”

1. Scott Edmondson says:

Awesome looking themes. One issue though: when I try to install exotic-theme alone, aptitude wants to remove nvidia-185-libvdpau{u} package. (I’m using nVidia v190 drivers)

Why would this need to be removed?

Cheers,
    Scott

2. dwight says:

did ya know karmic using new GDM system..? i think that GDM wont work in karmic….

3. Steve M says:

These themes are great, they really make ubuntu look good and stand out. Thanks for providing them and the easy to understand tutorial.

4. Karl Peters says:

Many thanks, installed flawlessly (even for a bit of a newb).

Loving Ubuntu…

5. tumuruu says:

Nise…. I like Ubuntu….

6. ryan says:

How do I apply the themes once they are installed?

7. Pejus says:

right click on desktop => Change Desktop Background. Select the themes tab. Here you will find the installed themes.

Pejus

8. Inside_Man says:

How about the log in???
    Can I change it???

Could U show me how???

9. Roger says:

sudo aptitude install aquadreams-theme

– loads of 404 Not Found errors

10. njin says:

great themes

11. Manas says:

How do I get the login themes to work?

12. Siva says:

Thanks for the themes…. especially the infinity theme was great great great…….

13. Sanya says:

Hi. I’m new using the ubuntu. pls help me, how can i install these themes. i like those very much. plz help me out.

14. Bojan says:

hi themes are great, but i have a problem.i am installed Ubuntu sunrise theme but , this panel with icon down , doesnt show like it is shown on a picture at the top of this post . pls help

15. Beckster says:

The login screen in linux can be found in consideration with the splash screen. Google that to help out.

16. shyam says:

Themes are wounderful. still I expect more Themes. How should I install it??????

17. harsh says:

awesome..thanks….

18. Nic says:

Awesome themes! Thanks so much! These are the best ones I have yet seen! Been searching for 4 days now too!

19. conefirst says:

i am using karmic on vga sis mirage.ca i get them?? i was ran one of them, but i cant see the chages.. please help.thx be4.replay me to my email

20. jack says:

I am also having same problem similair to the above person, have a look and suggest me what to do now
    jack@jack-laptop:~$ sudo aptitude install zgegblog-themes
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    Reading extended state information
    Initializing package states… Done
    No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
    Writing extended state information… Done
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    Reading extended state information
    Initializing package states… Done

I using Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic version. It didn’t show any changes in themes. what to do now ??? thanks bye

21. Michael says:

Hey guys, all you need to do is go to the System menu, and click Appearance. In the Themes tab, select the new theme you’d like to apply… You can also customise the theme through there…

22. growlf says:

Use emerald decorations manager. The themes require it.

23. growlf says:

Hey folx. The themes in this page are mostly Emerald themes – and thus will not show up in the default Ubuntu Window Decorator – which is actually Metacity.

So – make sure you have Emerald installed, and also Compiz Fusion Icon. Compiz Fusion Icon will let you switch the Window Decorator to Emerald easily (and much more), then you can run Emerald and select the theme you just installed – or others. Emerald is a bit more flashy than GTK/Metacity in general.

24. growlf says:

I love the themes – they are truly gorgeous. Only one problem that I have found: the GDM themes will NOT work in Karmic Ubuntu. This is not the author’s fault – nor is it the responsibility of Ubuntu – it is due to the fact that Karmic uses a newer version of Gnome which replaced GDM1 with GDM2. GDM2 does not have a very complete config tool.. at all.. and there is NO theme support in it.

25. growlf says:

To that end, a couple developers have created a new tool and placed it up on Launchpad (search for GDM2Setup). It is still in its infancy and does not have theme-file support yet, but it will soon. It does, however, allow many of the old options again already. There is not an installer for it yet but there should be one in the next couple of weeks. The manual install is pretty easy though, so try it out.

Hope that helps.

26. mrbach says:

GROWLF>

Are you saying definitively that these will not work with Karmic? Having completed all the steps I certainly don’t see anything working — but, I’m trying to figure out what the Author has posted this for if it *doesn’t* work in Karmic??

27. User says:

Thank you for this post!!!

I was having a ton of problems with Themes the first time I tried Ubuntu but alas the themes are now downloading!

:-)

28. growlf says:

@mrbach – yes, unfortunately, that is _definitely_ the case. Check out the Ubuntu forums on the subject of GDM2 and Karmic. You may also want to see the entries in the Gnome project as well. I would post links to the info, but this forum does not seem to let me do so.

As to why he posted as such? Well, the desktop and Icon themes _DO_ work just fine, and the author might not have actually tried the GDM themes out in Karmic specifically. It is not an expected change in the OS, unless you follow the dev forum at Gnome, so he may be blissfully unaware.

Again – if you are like me and HAVE to have access to changing the newer GDM2 themes/settings – check out the GDM2Setup tool on Launchpad. There is now a deb for easy installation as well.

29. growlf says:

…to be completely clear: the themes on this page are comprised of a combination of components – Window Decorator Theme, Icon Theme, and most of them also have a GDM Theme component. Only the GDM theme components do not work in Karmic. The rest do, as far as I can tell, but may (in most cases) need Emerald to be the current Windows Decorator for them to actually be visible.

30. Gabriel says:

Great themes m8, a question about the object dock, where can I get it from?
    thanks.

please leave a detailed answer for i am a new user to Ubuntu.