Note: This is still a beta release. Do not install it on production machines. The final stable version will be released in 30th October 2008.
Important Notes Before Upgrade
- Take a complete Back up all your data. There is no guarantee that all will go well.
- Remember that this software is still beta at this time. It is not for production machines.
- Be sure that you have all updates applied to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS before you upgrade
Procedure to follow
To upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04, press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box.
Starting Update Manager in Progress
Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release ‘8.10' is available. Click Upgrade
This will show you Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex Release notes click on upgrade
If you are using any third party sources in your /etc/apt/sources.list file it will be disabled at the time of upgrade process click close
Setting new software channels in progress
Starting the upgrade process window click on Start Upgrade
Downloading the new Packages in Progress
Installing Packages in Progress
Installing Packages in Progress in Terminal
Remove obsolete packages window click on remove
Cleaning Up process in Progress
You need to restart the system to complete the Upgrade by clicking “Restart Now”
Testing Your Upgrade
You can check the ubuntu version installed using the following command
sudo lsb_release -a
Output Looks like below
Incoming search terms:
- daemon/ServAuthDir /var/lib/mdm
- server author ization directory (daemon/ServAuthDir) is set to /var/gdm
- Ubuntu (daemon/ServAuthDir) is set to /var/lib/gdm but this does not exist