December 22, 2006 · General · Email This Post

Some times you want to use iSO images without burning them.If you don't want to waste your CD's/DVD's here is the simple possible solutions using these tips you can mount and unmount ISO images without burning them.

I know two possible solutions

1) Using Nautilus Scripts

2) Using kernel loop module

Now we will see each one in detailed

Using Nautilus Scripts

I am taking this tip from here first you need to download two scripts for mount iso images download from here for unmount iso images download from here

Once you have these two scripts you need to change the permissions using the following commands

sudo chmod +x /home/username/mount.sh

sudo chmod +x /home/username/unmount.sh

Now you need to copy them nautilus scripts

sudo mv /home/username/mount.sh ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/

sudo mv /home/username/unmount.sh ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/

That's it now you are ready for mounting and unmounting your ISO images.

Example

Mount ISO Image

Now i have one ISO image if you want to mount you need to right click and select scripts ---> mount-iso

Now it will prompt for root password and click ok

You can see the Mounter notification like the following

Here is the Successfully mounted message if you want to open this one click ok

This shows you available contents in mounted ISO image

Unmount ISO Image

Now i have one ISO image if you want to mount you need to right click and select scripts--->unmount-iso

Here is the Successfully Unmounted message

Using loop Kernel Module

First you need to make the directory to put the ISO into using the following command

sudo mkdir /media/isoimage

Now you need to add the loop module to your kernel.

What kernel loop module does?

I want to give brief introduction to kernel loop module.Using the module loop it is possible to mount a filesystem file. squashfs is a "loop" with (de)compression (Compressed Loopback Device) and it is possible to mount a compressed filesystem like a block device and seamlessly decompress its data while accessing it.

Use the following command to load loop module

sudo modprobe loop

Mount ISO Image

If you want to mount you need to use the following command

sudo mount debianetch.iso /media/isoimage/ -t iso9660 -o loop

In the above command you can replace debianetch.iso to your own iso image.

Now you should have your iso file mounted, and accessible from your desktop.

Unmount ISO Image

Unmount ISO Image Using the following command

sudo umount /media/isoimage

72 Comments to “Mount and Unmout ISO images without burning them”

1. marco999 says:

Make this guide easier to follow. It is disjointed and hard to follow. Where it says to move the files to the new dir’s it gives the wrong name. This causes the command to fail.

marco999

2. Ockie says:

Guys, I tried to ‘mv’ command the mount.sh and unmount.sh files and it works…
    I think mount-iso meant to be mount.sh

3. stephan says:

Works like a charm! Thumbs up!!

4. MiThRaZoR says:

“Guys, I tried to ‘mv’ command the mount.sh and unmount.sh files and it works…
    I think mount-iso meant to be mount.sh”

You’re right, it is supposed to be mount.sh

If I hadn’t seen your comment. I would have been lost. Thanks.

5. Bram says:

Very nice! Maybe this can also be done using Fuse, which can mount file systems in user space. That would mean that you don’t need sudo or to be root to mount iso’s. Just like OSX!
    For more nautilus scripts, check http://g-scripts.sourceforge.net/.
    Btw: You don’t need sudo to write files in your own home directory.

6. Daniel says:

Beutifull.
    Thanks for the screen pictures they helped me as a ubuntu beginner.

7. Ganesh says:

Thank you very much… Cool!!

8. Gustavo says:

You rock, period!!!
    Worked at the firs attempt,

Thank you from México.

9. robert says:

it’s really easy and work amazingly,
    i think the nautils script method is the easyer

10. Fazlur Rahaman Naik says:

Its really easy … and it works… and do remember that your ISO files name should not contain any spaces….

11. jrr says:

Thanks, very usefull. Works in ubuntu8.04.

12. Guille says:

Thanks a lot from Argentina. It worked perfectly

13. Jo says:

This is so freakin’ awesome . . . yup it’s working on my ubuntu 8.04 . . . you rock!!!

14. younfox says:

Thanks man…nice work.

15. fuzzie says:

Um, on 7.10 ubuntu, it fails to mount when the name of .iso has a whitespace, for example “bla blup.iso”,
    already fixed it though ..

Cheers

16. TK says:

But why on earth is this not already built into Ubuntu from the start? I actually expected to be able to mount an ISO-file with a right-click option from the start. I mean, the functionality is built in, it is just hidden in a long terminal-string. I want my OS to be user friendly, as well as powerful. I should not have to go through Google, find an appropriate guide, open the terminal, find the file and mount it.
    I have found an extension but it did not work. I have also tried the scripting-route described here, also without luck. But still, to search for these tools should be unnecessary. Every time I have to open the terminal to get a job done Ubuntu have lost. And I do not mean “done” as in “done more quickly” (eg. “apt-get”), but every time I have to open the terminal to get the job done at all (like mounting an ISO).

17. Carlos says:

Exelent!!!
    Good Job!!
    It’s work fine.

18. nik says:

This is a great tutorial. Helped me to flash that faulty bios without a floppy

Nik

19. PICCORO says:

for debian user that arribed here searching tools for iso, see : Iso linux converters and tools packages included the .dda and img tool in debian deb package ready to install! and manpages included!

20. koztaz says:

Thanks! Worked like charm.

21. Manish says:

Thank you sir.

22. Karkas says:

I am having this error when trying to mount an .iso file. I used the first guide, Nautilus scripts. The error is right after it says that the image is mounted and is…: Cannot Mount!

There are no whitespaces in the .iso filename. What could be wrong?

23. Josh says:

You saved my day.
    Thank you very much!!!!

24. Mark Dulcey says:

In Hardy you CAN examine an ISO file by right-clicking. Right click, choose “open with Archive Manager”. That doesn’t mount it as a normal file system, but it does let you get files from the ISO.

25. steve says:

These scripts will allow you to mount and unmount iso’s with spaces in the file name. It removes the newline character from the end of the $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS variable and sets the result to var. Than I get BASENAME from var.

Copy and paste the following into Mount-ISO.sh under ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/
    chmod +x ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/Mount-ISO.sh

#!/bin/bash
    # mount selected iso

gksudo -k /bin/echo “got r00t”

var=”$NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS”
    var=$(echo ${var%\%})
    echo VAR = :$var:

BASENAME=`basename “${var}” .iso`

zenity –info –title “ISO Mounter” –text “Mount ${var} on /media/${BASENAME}?”
    sudo mkdir /media/”${BASENAME}”

if sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 “$var” “/media/${BASENAME}”
    then
    if zenity –question –title “ISO Mounter” –text “Successfully mounted ${var} on /media/${BASENAME}. Open Volume?”
    then
    nautilus /media/”${BASENAME}” –no-desktop
    fi

exit 0
    else
    sudo rmdir “/media/${BASENAME}”

zenity –error –title “ISO Mounter” –text “Could not mount ${var} on /media/${BASENAME}!”

exit 1
    fi

Copy and paste the following into Unmount-ISO.sh under ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/
    chmod +x ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/Unmount-ISO.sh

#!/bin/bash
    # Umount selected iso

gksudo -k /bin/echo “got r00t?”

var=”$NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS”
    var=$(echo ${var%\%})

BASENAME=`basename “${var}” .iso`

zenity –info –text “Unmount /media/${BASENAME}?”

sudo umount “/media/${BASENAME}”

sudo rmdir “/media/${BASENAME}”

zenity –info –text “Successfully unmounted /media/${BASENAME}”

exit 0

26. I says:

Finally… I get something done right in Ubuntu for the first time! Thanks a lot!!!

27. Ilyz says:

thanks, the second way works perfectly.
    Does anybody knows how to make Synaptic think of this mounted iso as a real cdrom (E:) to install some packages from it
    sorry for grammatics and being lamer))

28. Dan says:

Thanks, this worked great.

29. kumaresan says:

i did as said above but it doent work help please

30. Brent Newland says:

I’ve created my own, 1-file solution. While not as fancy as some, it DOES support writing to the files, it DOES support spaces in the file name or directory, it DOES notify you if it worked or not, and it DOES work for different types of images (definitely ISO and floppy images, most likely others).

It’s located at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=52255 (the very last script on the second post).